Hiring a basement waterproofing contractor can be daunting. Who can you trust? Can they do the job? Will they charge a fair price? When your home needs basement waterproofing or foundation repair, the last thing you want is a lot of trouble.
That’s why hiring a reliable and trustworthy waterproofing professional is so important. Whether you are recovering from a natural disaster, making repairs, or renovating your basement, you need a basement waterproofing contractor who is up to the job.
Here are seven tips for hiring a basement waterproofing professional you can trust.
- Look for experience. There’s no substitute for experience. You want a company who has worked in the business for a good number of years; someone with an established reputation who has seen and completed every type of job.
- Seek recommendations. Ask your friends and neighbors if they have undertaken basement waterproofing or foundation repair projects. Who did they hire, and how was their experience?
- Shop locally. Supporting area contractors is a good choice because these companies are part of your community, their employees are local, and if you have a problem, help is never far away.
- Read online reviews. Check reviews on websites such as Google and Yelp to find out what actual customers have to say about the contractors in your area. This is one of the easiest and best ways to start and narrow down your search.
- Get multiple quotes. Before choosing a waterproofing contractor, shop around. Get quotes from three different companies, and get them in writing. Ask for detailed line lists to make sure all estimates cover the same parts, brands, and work. Just make sure to not automatically choose the contractor who quotes the lowest price. Basement waterproofing is a complex job and you want a contractor who you know will do quality work with quality waterproofing products.
- Ask about the warranty. What does it REALLY cover? A good basement waterproofing warranty covers materials and labor at a minimum. Other types of waterproofing warranties include the materials and labor with overburden warranty, which adds coverage for the costs of removing and replacing defective products, and the no-dollar-limit warranty, which guarantees that the contractor will pay the full costs of repairing or replacing a defective waterproofing system, regardless of cost and without limit. Finally, look for a “lifetime transferable warranty” — one that will transfer to the next owner when you sell your home.
- Make sure the company is insured. You want a contractor who is bonded, insured, and licensed to work in your state. When talking with potential candidates, ask them to show you up-to-date proof of insurance so you don’t get stuck with a big repair bill if the contractor damages your home.
- Make sure you feel comfortable with your choice. Waterproofing a basement is a big job. As with any large investment, you want to feel good about your purchase. Ask yourself: Am I comfortable with this contractor? Did he or she provide me with a clear explanation of the problem and the proposed solution? Were all of the company’s representatives professional, courteous, and happy to answer my questions? If you have any doubt, follow your gut. Do not let any contractor pressure you into signing an agreement before you are ready.
Hiring a reliable and trustworthy contractor is the first and most important step to a successful basement waterproofing project. Remember these tips when starting your search and you’ll be well on your way to finding a contractor who will work well for you.
Get A Free Basement Waterproofing Assessment and Quote Today
For more than 40 years, Zander Solutions has been Wisconsin’s trusted choice for basement waterproofing projects throughout Dane and Waukesha counties, including metropolitan Milwaukee. Our waterproofing pros are certified in the industry’s leading residential and commercial waterproofing systems, so you can be confident that your home is in good hands. We’ll get the job done right, and right on time, for the same price or less than our competitors.
Call or email us for a free quote today. We’ll send an experienced waterproofing professional to visit your home, conduct an assessment, and provide you an estimate within 24 hours.